16 February 2011
On Monday 2nd May 2011 the Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon celebrates its 30th year!!The Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon is the largest sporting participatory event in Northern Ireland bringing participants from all areas of the globe to the str
The participation numbers reached record levels again in 2010 with over 18,600 people taking part in the cocktail of events (Marathon 3400 entrants, Relay 2500 teams, Walk 2400 entrants and Fun Run 1600 entrants). The level of participation has virtually doubled in the last 5 years and with your help we can make the 2011 Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon even bigger and better to celebrate its 30th year.
The Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon is proud to work with sponsors such as Premier Inn, Translink, Daily Mirror, Asics, Up and Running, U105, Tayto, Athletics Northern Ireland, Sport Northern Ireland and Belfast City Council.
To build on this past record of success and to celebrate its 30th year the organisers have developed a number of innovations for 2011 to ensure that even more people are attracted to take part and support The Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon whether it be taking part in one of the events, volunteering or just enjoying a fun day out;
- £1,000 bonus to the first male and female athlete to break the current Belfast City Marathon record times set by Marty Deane in 1985 (2:15:51) and Marashet Jumma in 2008 (2:39:22)
- For the 2011 event the bonus for the male and female category has been rolled over and will be £3,000 as the record was not broke in 2010
- The 2011 Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon International Expo will be bigger with more exhibits held in the City Hall which will bring athletes right into the city centre with easy access to shops and restaurants and see what else Belfast has to offer.
- The Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon will be offering official merchandise which can be purchased at the Expo in the City Hall and will also be available on our website.
- There will be a family fun day of events at Ormeau Park on race day, including bands, food and drink and a funfair to celebrate all finishing athletes.
- Showers and limited changing facilities will be available at the Tennis Arena.
NOTE: further details of these arrangements including maps and directions for the routes can be found on our website, www.belfastcitymarathon.com
The Deep RiverRock Belfast City Marathon is pleased to have two official nominated charities; Macmillan Cancer Support and Transplant Sport UK. The organisers would like to encourage participants to raise money for these very worthwhile causes and all entrants will be forwarded sponsorship forms from Macmillan Cancer Support and Transport Sport UK with their confirmation letter.
For further information on fundraising for these charities please contact:-
Macmillan Cancer Support- 028 9070 8610
Transplant Sport UK - 0114 257 1992
Due to the ever increasing scale of the event, the organisers have decided to have a final cut-off point for entries on the 15th April 2011. No entries will be accepted after this date. Participants are urged to get their entries in as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
If you are interested in participating in any of the fun events this year or would like to help out as a volunteer please visit our website: www.belfastcitymarathon.com or call us on our hotline +44 (0) 28 9060 5933.